Prepare for your Test
In this section there are some useful hints and tips to help you prepare for tests, including what you can do before the tests, what you should bring with you on the test day and what you should attend to during the tests. By preparing for the test you will be able to perform to the best of your ability on the test day.
Before the test:
Ensuring that you are prepared for the test day can help you a lot.
- Work through the sample questions on this website and read the familiarisation material thoroughly which is available on this website. The familiarisation material will include further sample questions that will help you to understand what you will have to do on the test day.
- Get a good night sleep before the test.
- Make certain that you know exactly where the test venue is and allow yourself plenty of time to get there so you don't have to rush.
- Dress comfortably - you may cool down as the test progresses.
Test Day Checklist:
You will need to bring the following to the test centre:
- A form of identification which includes a photograph such as a driving license or a valid passport.
- Your letter inviting you to the test session or a booking confirmation.
- A silent, cordless, non-programmable calculator if applicable (this will be specified in the familiarisation material).
- Two soft pencils and an eraser.
- A watch so that you can keep an eye on your time in each test.
During the test session:
Before each test, there will be a set of instructions and an example test question(s).
- Listen carefully to the instructions, paying attention to the number of questions in each test and how much time you will have to do them.
- For paper and pencil tests make sure that you understand how to complete the answer sheets. The format will be similar to the practice sections of the familiarisation material. Mark your answers clearly and appropriately as instructed in the familiarisation material.
- As you go through the tests you should check that you are marking the correct space in the correct section of the answer sheet. In other words, when you answer question 12 of test 2 you should make sure that you fill in the space for question 12 of test 2 on the answer sheet.
- Try to answer as many questions as possible, as the more you get right, the higher your score will be! However, there may be negative marking for incorrect responses - please check the instructions.
- For difficult questions, either try to choose the correct answer by first eliminating the wrong ones, or skip the questions and return to them later if you have time.
- Remember, rough work paper will be provided for particular tests such as the numerical reasoning test.
There will be staff at the testing session that you can ask if you are unsure of what you have to do.
Information and Familiarisation Booklets
Confined Firefighter - Dublin Fire Brigade
- Firefighter Dublin Fire Brigade - Pre-Test Information Booklet
- DOC | 98KB | Firefighter_Dublin_Fire_Brigade_Pre_Test_Information.doc
Trainee Auditor Stage 1
- Trainee Auditor Stage 1 Pre-Test Information Booklet
- DOC | 305KB | Trainee_Auditor_Pre_Test_Information_Booklet.doc
Mature Code Nursing / Midwifery 2013
- Mature Code Nursing 2013 Familiarisation Booklet
- DOC | 1863KB | Familiarisation_Booklet_Mature_Code_Nurses_2013.doc
Student Paramedic in the Health Service Executive
- Student Paramedic Familiarisation Booklet
- DOC | 281KB | Student_Paramedic_Familiarisation_Booklet.doc
Graduate Opportunities in the Civil Service - Administrative Officer (various disciplines)
- Administrative Officer 2012 Familiarisation Booklet
- DOC | 478KB | AO_2012_Familiarisation_Booklet.doc
Defence Forces General Service
- Defence Forces – General Service – Familiarisation Material
DOC | 328KB | Defence_Forces_General_Service_Familiarisation_Material.doc
Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service
- Temporary CO Application Form 2012
- DOC | 76KB | Temp_CO_Application_Form2012.doc
- Temporary CO Application Form 2012B
- DOC | 76KB | Temp_CO_Application_Form2012B.doc
- Health and Character Declaration
- DOC | 36KB | Health_Character_Dec.doc
- Temporary Clerical Positions - Information Booklet
- DOC | 128KB | TCO_2012_Information_Booklet.doc
Emergency Medical Dispatcher / Call Taker
- Emergency Call Taker
DOC | 49KB | Familiarisation_Booklet_Call_Taker_Final_Version.doc
Emergency Medical Dispatcher
- DOC | 75KB | Familiarisation_Booklet_EMD_Final_Version.doc
Intermediate Care Operative - Health Service Executive
- Intermediate Care Operative - Test Familiarisation Material
- DOC | 329KB | ICO_Familiarisation_Booklet_2011.doc
Parliamentary Usher in the Houses of the Oireachtas
- Parliamentary Usher - Test Familiarisation Booklet
- DOC | 176KB | Parliamentary_Usher_Familiarisation.doc
GARDA TRAINEE MAY 2008
- Garda Trainee - Information Booklet
- PDF | 701KB | 08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf
- History of An Garda Síochána
- DOC | 49KB | garda_history.doc
GARDA RESERVE (Voluntary)
- Interview Application Form
- DOC | 109KB | 05063_Interview_App_Form_Feb09.doc
On receipt of the completed application form candidates will be allocated a date and time for interview at the earliest opportunity.
You may email your application form directly to a dedicated mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org or post the form to:- Garda Reserve Unit, Public Appointments Service, Chapter House, 26/30 Abbey Street Upper, Dublin 1.
- Garda Reserve Information Booklet
- DOC | 99KB | 06053_Garda_Reserve_Notes_for_Candidates_Final_2006.doc
The BR form below must be completed only by those who have been successful at interview and written test stage of the process and have been notified by the Public Appointments Service to this effect.
Any queries in relation to this form must be directed to Garda Reserve HRM at 01-6662568.
- BR Form
- DOC | 428KB | BR_Form_March_2013.doc
RECRUIT PRISON OFFICER 2008
- Prison Officer Information Booklet
- DOC | 192KB | 08018_Recruit_Prison_Officer.doc
- Recruit Prison Officer in the Irish Prison Service - Stage 2 Preparation Material
- DOC | 41KB | RPO_stage2_preparation_information.doc
- Supplementary Application Form
- DOC | 139KB | RPO_2008_IPQ_Jan_2012.doc
- Physical Competency Test Information Leaflet
- DOC | 27KB | Physical_Competency_Test_Inforamtion_Leaflet.doc