The Executive Officer (Dublin) is now open to all citizens from the European Economic Area so if you are looking for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career this position might be the right option for you!
The Executive Officer (EO) campaign aims to attract candidates with a diverse range of qualifications, experiences and perspectives. A university degree is not necessary to apply for this position; it is available to school leavers, graduates and professionals. This role is a great opportunity for anyone considering a change in career or if you are just entering the job market.
Executive Officers are engaged in critical analysis of proposals and reports and in examining the more complex, non-routine cases on which decisions are required. Executive Officers are involved in a wide range of roles and activities, including: researching and drafting proposals relating to policy issues and legislation; acting as junior managers in Government Departments and responsibilities for managing operations. After some experience, Executive Officers can expect to manage large numbers of people, resources and deal directly with the public in support of services provided to them by the Civil Service. Executive Officers are employed in all Government Departments/Offices covering a wide range of functional responsibilities. The Executive Officer grade is the entry level to junior management in the Civil Service.
The Person we’re Looking for
In recruiting Executive Officers, the Public Appointments Service is conscious of the fact that many of the senior positions in the Civil Service will, in time, be filled by people recruited at this level. For this reason, we look for people who show the potential to take on high level responsibilities in the management of public services and the analysis of public policy issues. In order to be effective in the role of an Executive Officer in the Civil Service, candidates need to be
- interested in public affairs and committed to the concept of public service;
- capable of planning and organising people and resources to meet goals, targets and objectives;
- understanding and sensitive in dealing with others, and persuasive when communicating in general;
- interested in making sure all tasks are completed to a very high standard;
- willing to share ideas and information with people, with the purpose of achieving a particular result;
- interested in working as part of a team;
- capable of presenting written material in a clear, concise, comprehensive and convincing manner;
- fully committed to achieving quality results;
- able to conduct an in-depth review of intricate, non-routine subject areas and make appropriate recommendations.
Diversity, Benefits and Opportunities
The Public Appointments Service is an equal opportunity employer. We aim to recruit individuals from a range of different backgrounds and we actively support those with additional requirements both during selection and in ensuring a smooth transition into the public service workforce.
The Executive Officer position within the Civil Service also includes the following opportunities and benefits
- Flexi time working arrangements: we offer employees a great work life balance and the opportunity to plan their work day around;
- Engage in meaningful and interesting work: make a real difference to the general public;
- Advancing your personal skills: through various roles, and the opportunity to up-skill and develop yourself professionally with high-quality training programmes, mentoring and support systems, internal training initiatives, and many more;
- Mobility opportunities often arise within and across Departments and Offices, enabling people to create new experiences, skills and to develop their career.
The Application Process
The main competencies required for this role are as follows:
- People Management;
- Analysis and Decision Making;
- Delivery of Results;
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills;
- Drive and Commitment;
- Specialist Knowledge, Expertise and Self Development.
When you’re applying for this position be sure to fill out the application form correctly and accurately, explaining why you would be suitable for the role in relation to the competencies mentioned above. Make sure you understand the job specification and information booklet including the qualifications (ex. Leaving Cert), skills and experience needed for the role and your previous experience in relation to these requirements.
For more, take a look at our information about the application process. The Closing Date to apply is 3pm, on Thursday, 30th August 2018.