PAS | International Applicants advice on applications and eligibility

Advice for International Applicants

Find out if you are eligible to apply for your chosen job

Information about applying for Civil Service post for non-EU/EEA citizens

Some jobs in the Civil Service have specific citizenship requirements, so you should read each notice carefully to confirm that you can apply.

For example, to apply for the job of Third Secretary, you need to be an Irish citizen. Similarly, for some jobs in the department of Foreign Affairs, such as Executive Officer, you need to be an E.U. citizen.

To find out if you are eligible for the job you are interested in, you should read the information booklet provided for each competition carefully.

Work Permits

Work permits are permits which are granted to non-EU/EEA Citizens to allow them to work in Ireland legally. It's an illegal offense to work in Ireland without a work permit and both the employer and the employee are held responsible.

All employers are encouraged to source their staff from this group of countries. A work permit will not be granted for someone outside of this group unless it can be proven that the vacancy could not be filled by an EEA national.

For more information on work permits and for future updates, visit the Enterprise, Trade and Employment website;
Who does what
Wgoverment logo